Pages

23 March 2012

When Little Boys Play House


We have a treat today, my kind mother-in-law has written this story about my husband when he was a little boy. I've heard it from my husband before and always thought it was a great story. I'm glad to read it in my mother-in-law's own words.

When I was a young mother of four little sons, I used to set up a couple of card tables, put a  sheet over the top  and encourage them to play " House"  in order to give them something to do while I did some household chores.  Crawling in and out under the  tables and playing their self-assigned roles was the order of the day.

Our oldest son, being the eldest, always chose to be the Dad, of course.  Our  youngest son, being the youngest, always chose to be the little Boy.  That left the two middle boys to  choose their roles.The younger of the two middle sons, always chose to be the Uncle.

That left the older of the middle sons [Eve's husband], to choose his role.  He was always most amiable and let his brothers choose  first.  I asked him who  he was going to  choose.  And you could just see his little mind working:  Gosh, who's left?  I can't be the Mom and I can't be the Sister.  I know! (he happily exclaimed).  I'll be the BUFFALO!!  So he chose to be the buffalo and gave his siblings rides on his back all around the house.Needless to say, the BUFFALO was loved by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment