Pages

08 March 2012

embarrassing

A co-worker just came back from lunch, red-faced, and proceeded to describe to us what had just happened to her. Her embarrassing moment brought back the memory of MY most embarrassing moment. Maybe not because it was THE most embarrassing, but I clearly remember my strong feelings at that moment. 

 I was 15 years old. I was in High School and all it's awkwardness. I dreaded every day of my P.E. class. I was so unable to do anything that expected me to coordinate my limbs. I ran the slowest, I jumped the shortest and couldn't throw a ball to save my life!


 So when we began playing baseball, our team went out on the field. I walked out the farthest I could from home base. I didn't want to risk the expectation of having to catch the ball! *CRACK* the sound of the ball against the bat reverberated in my head and I turned away to meander around my lonely end of the field. Then *THWACK*, my head jerked forward and i was dazed for only a moment. My senses came back to me as I felt everyone's eyes at my back. The sting of embarrassment started at my toes and burned it's way up to my face, where it stayed. Only the P.E. teacher dared to approach me. I didn't turn around. I didn't look him in the eyes. I just wanted the ground to open up and pull me in. 

And for the rest of the day, well, actually for a really long time, I truly thought everyone was pointing at me and laughing at 'the girl who got hit in the head with a baseball'. What's your most embarrassing moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment