Pages

31 July 2012

Describe your favorite character from a book, a movie or televison ~Family History Tuesday~

I was in the 5th grade when we were assigned to read Island of the Blue Dolphins.  Boy, I just LIVED this story!  I wanted to be Karana.

Karana is a young girl who is left alone on her island home, along with her little brother.  In order to survive she must begin to make spears, hunt and she even makes a shelter out of whale bones. Along the way she befriends the leader of the wild pack of dogs.

I was in love with the solitude, nature, animals and resourcefulness Karana learns as she becomes self-sufficient.  I longed to walk the beach (are you beginning to see a theme here in my life?) and commune with the flora and fauna and animal friends all around.

And you know what made reading this book even better?  It is based on a true story! A young girl was stranded on an island off the California coast for 18 years! She was discovered in 1853. Does that not make you have goosebumps?


Who is your favorite character?

{Family History Tuesday prompts found at designzbydede}

No comments:

Post a Comment