Pages

07 July 2012

Gratitude without works...

As I was preparing the lesson I am to teach to a group of 7-year-olds this Sunday, I ran across a blog that had another Teacher's ideas for the lesson called "Remember to Say 'Thank You'".


At the end of her post she said:
"So, if all you came for was the helps, feel free to stop reading! ;)"
But I read on.


She began talking about how they had gotten married rather young and had dreams of having a large family together. Four years into their marriage they still had no children. Then for a couple of years she was angry, angry at God, but continued to go to Church and did whatever she was asked to do, BUT she would not associate with young families or pregnant women. She never attended baby showers or any lessons having to do with children.


They tried foster parenting, but it was not for them. They prayed about adoption, but the answer was NO. Then she read for the second time this article by Ardeth G. Kapp.  She finally felt that she had found the person who could understand her. 
"While I had been sitting in my own little pity party, I had neglected (not all the time) to be grateful for what I HAD!" ..."I had been crying and praying, asking Father in Heaven WHY. 
And then she got her answer:
"It was a simple, strong feeling.  A calming voice in my head that said, "You will have everything that you WANT when your will is aligned with My will."  Oh.  Peace came to me immediately.  I knew that I needed to change--my attitude, my prayers, my life!  I realized that there is a reason for ALL trials--and, YES, this is true of all of them--the reason is to draw us near unto God.  ALWAYS.  Each trial is designed to draw us nearer to God IF we choose it."
My husband and I have no children together. We know that will always be our situation.  We married at an advanced age and agreed that we will not have children.  We are OK with that. I brought it up with my ecclesiastical leader, before I married. He simply and lovingly said  "No matter, there are many, many other things in the Gospel that you can take on".  And then my husband's ecclesiastical leader, advised us to make service an even bigger part of our marriage. That last advice is still something I struggle with. Ardeth G. Kapp says this:
"What, then, are some of the decisions couples can make to lead fulfilled lives when the answer is that they will not have children in this life? "...We read from President David O. McKay, “The noblest aim in life is to strive … to make other lives … happier.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1961, p. 131.)
And then they received these wise words from a family member:
“You need not possess children to love them. Loving is not synonymous with possessing, and possessing is not necessarily loving. The world is filled with people to be loved, guided, taught, lifted, and inspired.”
They wanted to learn the important lessons of selflessness and sacrifice (as parents learn) and began to say yes to everything and everyone. Many times the opportunities to serve would come just when they had planned some time together.

I hinder myself more with social awkwardness and yes, selfishness too. I do try to be better. 

Now, going back to the lesson of saying 'Thank You", I feel that I can be grateful all I want, but without showing appreciation through my actions it is practically moot. That's where service fits in because,  truly,  
gratitude without works IS dead.



No comments:

Post a Comment