Pages

19 July 2012

City Scene: Man on sidewalk

I was walking down Main Street after work, along with people in business suits hurriedly trying to get where they had to be.

Ahead of me I see what looks like a man. in the middle of the sidewalk. lying on his side.  As I get closer, I see pieces of a salad strewn out in front of him.  I look around to gage other people's reaction. None.

I quickly walk into the mall, just steps in front of me,  hoping to find a security guard. I frantically search, but not for long because the man might really need help and I'm wasting time.

I exit the mall, passing a panhandler as I spot the man still on the ground.  People are just walking around him as if this is an ordinary occurrence.  I walk right up to the man and in a loud voice ask him, "Are you hurt? Do you need some help? Can you stand up?!"

He lies there, picking up pieces of lettuce and putting them in his mouth, and yells back," I just need to lie here for 20 minutes. I've got a bullet in my back from the war.  This just happens to me sometimes and I just have to wait!"

Then he pauses, looks up at me and asks, "Do you smoke?"

That question just makes me laugh for some reason. I can't help but chuckle, as I answer, "No!" 

I look carefully over him to make sure I'm not missing any sign of an injury. Then I ask him again, "Are you hurt? Can I get you some help? Will you be able to stand up?"

I see him roll his eyes, probably annoyed that he has to repeat himself again, so he shouts back at me, "No, I've got a bullet in my back. I've just got to lie here for a while. It will get better! I just need a cigarette!"

OK, I realize I can't do anything.  I wish him all the best and continue down the sidewalk, but not until I poke my head in a nearby store. I let the employees know that there is a man lying on the sidewalk right outside.
 One replies saying that "It's City property.  We can't do anything about it." and then rolling his eyes adds, "Besides he's been laying around out there all day."

No comments:

Post a Comment