Pages

18 December 2012

Did you have any favorite uncles, aunts or cousins when you were growing up? ~Family History Tuesay~

My parents immigrated to the U.S.A. and so the great majority of my relatives live outside the country.  My dad did have 3 siblings (out of 9) living in the same state we grew up in. My mom only had 1 sibling (out of many step and half-siblings), a brother, who lived about 30 minutes away from us. 

I never felt particularly close to any of my adult relatives for reasons that I recall had to do with mental challenges, addictions, negativity...

We played with our cousins whenever we had family get-togethers, but we rarely asked to play with them outside of those family meetings.

The only times I met my international relatives was when I was 4 years old and then again when I had just completed my first year at college.  It was a grand time! Lots of food, conversation (well as much as I could with my limited ability in speaking their language), family time, travel, parties and even a catholic wedding were all part of our stay with them.


hakimsonsfilms.com

Possibly the only relative I am at ease with today is my uncle, my mom's brother who has always stayed in touch with us. He regularly visits my mother. He is always invited to travel or attend activities with my parents.  When my Dad can't go, my uncle is always pleased to go and be his happy, laid back, social self wherever he goes.  He is not demanding or prying and maybe that's why I enjoy his company.

I'm happy that he is there for his sister, my mom.


{Family History Tuesday question can be found at designzbydede}

No comments:

Post a Comment