Pages

07 August 2012

Write about your hardest goodbye ~Family History Tuesday~

If you know me well then you know of my love for animals.  I cannot stand to see or hear or know about an animal being hurt. I even have to change the TV channel when they show that "End Animal Cruelty"commercial with Sarah McLachlan singing in the background.

You can just imagine then, having to let go of the pets in my life has been extremely sad. I've had rabbits, hamsters, chickens, abandoned baby birds, 3 dogs and 2 ferrets.

Some of them have died from sickness. Our rabbits were killed by some unknown animal. And a dog we had, died in a fire.

I remember an especially devastating time when we had to give up our beautiful dog to the Animal Shelter.  He was just too big and active for our home.  When we returned home I couldn't contain my sadness.

My mom was trying to console us and started to cry herself.  She started to sob so hard! I'd never seen her feel so hurt.  She then started to relate to us the story of when she was offered an opportunity to leave her home country and move to the United States.  She didn't think she could do it.  She had a sickly mother to care for. 

When my mom told her own mother about the chance to leave, her mother, in her selflessness and wisdom, told my mom that she had to live for herself now and her future. She told her it was OK to leave and do what she had to do to live a better life.

So, with a broken heart my 20-year-old mother made her way to the U.S. and DID make a better life for herself and therefore US, her children. I love my Mom.


{Family History Tuesday prompts found at designzbydede}

No comments:

Post a Comment