Pages

05 June 2012

The first time you went away for more than a few days, what feelings went through you when you came back and caught sight of your house?~Family History Tuesday~


I had to dig back in my memories for the many instances I was away from home. I tried to remember the earliest times when our family would leave for vacation to the beach, NY, the World's Fair, Disneyworld, then off to college, but none stuck out in my mind of having any overwhelming feelings of seeing my home again.


Then another memory came to me!


It was two decades ago, I was leaving home to serve as a missionary for the Church I belong to.  I was traveling on a plane with no family or friends for the first time in my life.  As the plane ascended into the air I remember looking down at my hometown as it got smaller and smaller.  Suddenly I felt as if I couldn't breathe!  I choked out sobs to the surprise of myself and I'm sure my seatmates.  Watching my home disappear, as we climbed through the clouds, made me realize I would not be home anymore!

When I did return home, after a 1 1/2 year mission in another country, and saw the house where I had grown up in, all I could think of was how clean, lush with plants and orderly everything outside seemed to be. I was glad to be home. 




{Find Family History Tuesday prompts at designz by dede}

No comments:

Post a Comment