Pages

26 February 2013

My Favorite Flowers ::52 Lists Project::


::daisy::
They are every-day-friendly flowers.
Ones you can just pick off the side of the road
and stick in a cupful of water to brighten your day.

::garden rose::
I think of them as antique-looking roses
with their many layers of petals.
They remind me of an era gone by
when flowers really meant something.

::cherry blossom::
My family waited for them to bloom every year.
We would pack ourselves in the station wagon and visit them.
Where I grew up,
"The plantings of cherry trees originated in 1912 as a gift of friendship to the People of the United States from the People of Japan."
So nice of the Japanese people. Thank you.

::gerbera daisy::
I discovered these simple, colorful flowers as a young adult.
They are such happy flowers.

::white roses::
I hadn't thought much of flowers on our wedding day.
We hadn't planned for a reception, so there was no need.
When I finally decided that I might want a bouquet,
I consulted with a local floral designer
and when she quoted the price to me, I'm sure I gasped out loud.
Then I thought I'd just go to the neighborhood florist
and pick up some flowers there. 
No luck.
They decided to close early the day I walked over to their store.
The day of our marriage, we walked out of the Temple
and my 5-year-old niece handed me a bouquet of white roses
that had been tied with white ribbon.
It turns out my sister, directed by my mom,
picked them up on their way to attend our wedding.

::red poppy::
They are not easy flowers to find where I live.
Across the street from where I work,
there are a few that have been planted
and everytime they bloom,
I'm ready with my camera for they don't seem to last very long.
Oh, and have you seen Monet's painting "Red Poppies"?


find #52lists on Instagram
for weekly list topics visit meetmeatmikes.com


No comments:

Post a Comment